Subject: Re: Diskless installation of 5000/240 with 5.1b PROMs
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Philip Tait <pjt@phxase.allied.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1998 09:17:24
Simon Burge wrote:

> As Jonathan says, the only known way to boot diskless on these types of
> systems is to boot via MOP of an Ultrix box.

That sounds too painful....

> I'll ask a question - what are you trying to do?  If it's simply getting
> an Ultrix-less DECstation bootstrapped from another NetBSD (or something
> else) box that also has SCSI, it might be easier to dd the diskimage
> onto the start of a disk and use that.

Once we had successfully disklessly-installed NetBSD on a couple of our
5000/200s, we were hoping to use the method on all of our pmaxes.  We'll go
back to using the diskimage method for our /240s, as you suggest.

--

Philip J. Tait.....AlliedSignal Engines, Phoenix, Az.....pjt@phxase.allied.com