Subject: Re: Lock-up during libc make?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1998 10:12:01
On Sep 21,  1:49am, William O Ferry wrote:
>     I was curious if anybody else has had problems recently doing a make
> in libc?  My 3100 has locked up several times in the libc directory
> after printing "building standard c library".  The sources were sup'ed
> another one.  Just wanted to ask first if anybody has been seeing a
> similar problem?

  The only time I've seen anything similar is when I've forgotten to add
the swap device when running in single user mode (or the swap device
didn't get added when going to multi user).

>     Hopefully the system isn't flaking out, I have seen a few other
> problems recently.  When I tried booting the 1.3.2 install, it works
> perfectly in single user mode, but if I go to multiuser the keyboard is
> all messed up at the login prompt.  Every key seems to map to a number
> (mostly 7's).

  I've seen something similar on my 3100, but it appears to only be the
initial console output.  I am able to enter my username and password
sucessfully, althought the username echo is garbled.  Once I've logged on,
console output is normal.  I haven't been able to track down this problem
yet.

>  Also, with the 1.3.2 install it is unwilling to set a
> swap device.  I've tried both NFS swaps and the local hard disk's b
> partition, it always complains "Bad address" .  FWIW it seems to build

  I saw this on -current recently, but it's been fixed since then. There
was a change to sys/vm/vm_swap.c on August 8 that was fixed on September
6.  I don't know why 1.3.2 would be doing this though.  Are you using
swapon or swapctl to add the swap device?

  If you can't add a swap device, then I'm not suprised your system hangs
trying to compile libc with only 24MB.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu