Subject: Lock-up during libc make?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1998 01:49:53
    I was curious if anybody else has had problems recently doing a make
in libc?  My 3100 has locked up several times in the libc directory
after printing "building standard c library".  The sources were sup'ed
about 3 weeks ago, which was before the recent libc-changes started.  So
it shouldn't be related to that.  But I have tried building with both
the install on the system (a successful make build from around the 1.3B
days) and a 1.3.2 install (both with a kernel from this last sup).  In
both cases the machine completely freezes after printing the above
message.  At this point the machine doesn't respond to pings or other
connections, the keyboard still works, but nothing can get me to a
prompt.  I don't believe this kernel has DDB enabled, have to build
another one.  Just wanted to ask first if anybody has been seeing a
similar problem?

    Again it's a 3100, 24MB RAM, 2GB Seagate Hawk HD, building off a
/usr/src NFS mounted from an i386, with the obj directory set to the
local disk.

    Hopefully the system isn't flaking out, I have seen a few other
problems recently.  When I tried booting the 1.3.2 install, it works
perfectly in single user mode, but if I go to multiuser the keyboard is
all messed up at the login prompt.  Every key seems to map to a number
(mostly 7's).  Also, with the 1.3.2 install it is unwilling to set a
swap device.  I've tried both NFS swaps and the local hard disk's b
partition, it always complains "Bad address" .  FWIW it seems to build
the rest of /usr/src with no problems.

    Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Light.RES.CMU.EDU
 http://light.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/ | talk:   finger for online status