Subject: Booting NECstation 2100 from a Linux system
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Ole Jakob Skjelten <olesk@stud.ntnu.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/12/1998 04:42:52
I have recently aquired a NECstation 2100. It has a 240Mb disk containing a
*very* basic Ultrix installation. So basic in fact, that I haven't managed
to get a network connection up and running. However, I do know the hardware
adress of the ethernet card on it, and using arp under Linux, I've managed
to make it respond to ping and assign an IP-adress to it. But as I don't
have telnet, ftp or seemingly any other means of transferring files to it,
I now feel a little lost.
As far as I've understood, it uses tftp to boot a kernel over a network,
but how do I set up Linux to send the kernel, and how do I make it accept
the IP-adress Linux assigns it?
If everything else fails, it would of course be possible to rip out the
harddrive and, using a Linux system (I don't have access to any NetBSD
system, and installing one just to set up my DECstation seems a little
overkill) to set up the harddisk. As far as I can recall, Linux fdisk does
make NetBSD filesystems, but does anybody know if there is any
documentation on how to create a basic NetBSD system from a Linux system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I do not bore anybody with
such rudimentary questions, but NetBSD and DECstations is pretty new
material too me :)
--
Ole Jakob Skjelten (olesk@stud.ntnu.no) www.stud.ntnu.no/~olesk
Tlf +47 73966054 / 91820113. Visit www.stud.ntnu.no/studorg/snow