Subject: Re: -current on DS5000/240
To: Toru Nishimura <port-pmax@netbsd.org, nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/05/1998 17:31:48
Excerpts from netbsd: 1-Sep-98 Re: -current on DS5000/240 Toru
Nishimura@is.aist-n (718)

> I am also experiencing inconsistent behaviours with recent -current.
> It makes panics and freeze.  Sometimes poweroff-on-cycles ease the
> symptoms with identical kernels...

So you still have more luck than me...

I looked a bit deeper, and found the following:
-With a "graphics" console, the machine panics early in
  consinit(), shortly after find_kbd()->scc_kbd()->lk_divert().
  It seems that the "scc_cons_addr" global does not get initialized.
  I don't know if scc is supposed to be initialized this early at all,
  so I gave up here and used a serial console.
-sfbinit() panics. The order of initializations looks a bit wrong
  (fi->fi_base is used before initialized). After sorting this,
  autoconfiguration completed, but the box still believes in
  a graphics terminal, so I didn't get printouts after "init" was
  started.

This all looks that sad that I'm beginning to believe that
I'm missing an important point.

Can somebody tell me what is supposed to work at all with
-current?
Is somebody heavily working on this stuff - what would
explain some temporary brokeness?

best regards
Matthias