Subject: Re: dumb monitor question: What works with PMAG-C, PMAG-D, SFB?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/21/1998 19:32:46
On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 02:36:22PM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:

> The VR297 works with the 1024x876 video display cards.   I think you
> need a VRT17 for the rest.
>
> A high resolution multisync should work for all pmaxes, though -
> something like a Sony 17SE.

You won't be happy with this, however.

The 1024x876 and most other pmax display modes are at 60Hz.  This is actually
quite acceptable because all of the monitors DEC ever sold with these machines
used (relatively) long-persistence phosphors which didn't give appreciable
flicker at 60Hz.

A "friend" borrowed my DEC-badged 17" Trinitron (VR297?) about four years
ago.  Since then, I've used various multisync monitors, including a Sony
17SE, SF, and SF II, a NEC MultiSync, and a ViewSonic 17PS.  It's been
pretty unpleasant, because the phosphors in these monitors are designed for
refresh rates of 70-75Hz or above (the "VESA ergonomic" rates) and flicker
very badly at 60Hz.

So there _is_ a difference between the DEC 17" Trinitron and a generic Sony
one, aside from the control electronics.  If you can find a DEC monitor in
decent shape (so long as it's a Trinitron and not one of the cheap pieces of
junk DEC also sold at the time) you'll be much happier than with most modern
multiscan monitors that can do sync-on-green.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"