Subject: Re: Install probs
To: Bill Anderson <anderson@wks.uts.ohio-state.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/18/1998 11:03:17
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:53:40 -0400 (EDT)  Bill Anderson wrote:

> > Hmm, I looked a little closer at your earlier email:
> >
> > > Yes, I checked all the cabling, and according to the PROM "cnfg 0":
> > > "rz0 RZ57" and "rz1 RZ57" are both there on SCSI bus 0...
> >
> > You used "cnfg 0" and not "cnfg 3" to get the SCSI disk list?  If this
> > is true, your disks are on the first external SCSI controller, not the
> > on-board SCSI controller.  I'm not sure of the top of my head whether
> > the INSTALL kernel supported multiple SCSI buses.
> >
> > A little background: "board 3" is the motherboard, while "0", "1" and
> > "2" are the TurboChannel slots.  If you do a "cnfg 3", you should also
> > see info on what RAM your machine has, ethernet info, etc.
>
> yes, the ethernet, etc. was on 3...
>
> there are three SCSI ports on the back of the box... one near the
> bottom left corner (facing the back of the box), and two in the middle
> vertically... the two in the middle are labeled with a big "0"
> and "1"... i plugged the drives into "0", figuring it was scsi bus 0...
> maybe i should plug them into the unlabeled one?
>
> back of box:
>                    +------------------------+
>                    |  0     1      2     on |
> currently here --->| ---   ---    ===    off|  (bad drawing :) )
> should be here? -->| ---   === ==  ===      |
>                    +------------------------+
> --- is SCSI (i guess, they all have the same connectors)
> === are other connectors, 012 are labels, and i left some stuff off

Yup, you've actually got them in the _second_ SCSI bus :)

Plug the disks into that one on the bottom lower left and all should be
right.  They should then show up when you do a "cnfg 3".

>From memory, NetBSD/pmax only supports the first two SCSI buses for now.
Adding support for a third (and forth) is easy, but may be pre-empted by
throwing out the current SCSI stuff completely and being replaced with
something a bit newer.  (Michael, Jonathan - any news on this?).

Simon.