Subject: /etc/rc and X (xfs related ....)
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Reini (Reinhold Huber) <Reinhold.Huber@fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/15/1998 18:32:04
Hi there,

I encountered (and bypassed) several problems with 1.3.2:

- Mounting machine 1's volumes on machine 2 and vice versa in the same
  time will not work out-of-the-box. But we will need this at our site.

  Solution: Replace the

    mount -a

  before the start of the nfs server with a

    mount -a -t nonfs

  and place a

    mount -a -t nfs

  after the start of the nfs server.
  As far I know, this should make no probs in configurations I can think
  of.

- With starting X:
  There is not sufficient info in /usr/X11R6/bin/README.pmax to get the
  X server talking to xfs when being started from xdm. Even the path to
  the Xservers file is in the old style. Shall I write a new one?

- The X server cannot talk to xfs and hangs. I solved this by inserting
  a sleep 5 between starting xfs and xdm directly in /etc/rc. This now
  seems to work.
  i don't know if this is wheather-proof, and it surely doesn't solve
  the real problem.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber