Subject: DS5000 boot syntax -- Re: Yeeeeeeeeeha
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/29/1998 13:12:25
In article <199807290326.XAA06026@ice4.fas.harvard.edu>
	ecorwin@fas.harvard.edu wrote

> After plugging it into the DecStation 5000/120 the command boot
> 3/rz4a/netbsd" did not work (it is scsi id 4) however "boot
> 3/rz4/netbsd" did work.  Perhaps somebody could add my experiences to
> the installation guide.

Here is the summary of DECstation 5000 PROM monitor commands (made and
edited referring to Personal DECstation 5000 Quick Reference Card,
EK-PM30B-RG-001).  Hope this helps people who have DS5000s without
hardware documents.

===
Syntax:

boot [OPTIONS] [#/path] [arguments ...]

OPTIONS
     -n	  	Load system software, but stay at PROM monitor.
     -z #	Wait # seconds before booting

#/path		#/rz#/imagename, #/tftp or #/mop
	First # is the TC slot number.  For IOASIC DECstations (1xx, xx and
	240), Slot 3 has baseboard SCSI device and LANCE device.

Usage and examples:
	boot 3/rz2/netbsd -aN
		load and boot "netbsd" with argument -aN from the
		filesystem in SCSI ID #2 disk of baseboard SCSI channel

	boot 0/rz4/otherimage
		load and boot "otherimage" from the filesystem in SCSI ID
		#4 disk of SCSI channel at TC slot 0 (like PMAZ-A).

	boot 3/tftp
		start BOOTP/TFTPBOOT sequence using baseboard LANCE.
		[ I donno whether this can take filename or argument
		  designations like 3/tftp/nfsnetbsd.ecoff -aN]

	boot 1/tftp
		start BOOTP/TFTPBOOT sequence using LANCE device at
		TC slot 1 (like PMAD-A).

	boot 3/mop
		start MOP boot sequence using baseboard LANCE.
		[ I've never tried this.  Can this work with NetBSD mopd?]

	PROM environment variables control the way PROM boots the system.

	setenv boot "3/rz2/netbsd -aN"	Default parameters for boot command

	setenv console "s"		Force serial console
	setenv console "*"		Select console probing TC slots

	setenv haltaction "b"		Start booting after poweron
	setenv haltaction "h"		Stay PROM monitor after poweron
	setenv haltaction "r"		[ I can't understand what will happen ]
			Referece Card says here as;
			"Restart the worksystem software without booting; boot
			only if the restart fails."

	setenv testaction "q"		Run the quick, less through self-test
	setenv testaction "t"		Run the complete, through self-test

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology