Subject: Re: Write boot label from a sun running linux.
To: Eric Corwin <ecorwin@fas.harvard.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/23/1998 14:40:20
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:28:38 -0400 (EDT)  Eric Corwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After finally getting my 5000/120 to boot I am faced with the task of
> installing NetBSD on it.  The only computer capable of writing to a scsi
> disk that I have is a sun sparc-classic running linux.  However, I was
> unable to get the disklabel program to compile under linux.  I don't
> think that net-booting is an option because my computer has the
> KNO@-BA V5.7j prom which apparently can't handle tftp booting (coincidently,
> does anyone know where I could find an AUI to rj45 transcevier?  Could I
> just use a mac 9 pin transcevier and wire the pins to the 15 pin connector
> or is it more complicated than that?).  So my question is is it possible to
> use a linux machine as the "helper" machine for the NetBSD install and if so
> how?

I've never used Linux, but I assume that you can "dd" a file to the
start of a raw disk.  Let's also assume that you want to install
NetBSD 1.3.2.  On the Linux box, do something like:

 zcat NetBSD-1.3.2/pmax/installation/diskimage/diskimage.gz | dd of=/dev/<something-or-other>

where <something-or-other> is the Linux term for the partition that
represents the full disk.  In NetBSD terms, this would be "rsdXc" (or
"rsdXd" on the i386) or "rrzXc" which X is the SCSI id.  Then look at
the "Install via diskimage" section of the install notes.

As for the transcevier, I suspect stores like Frys would have them for
next to nothing (but don't quote me on that, I'm in Australia!).

Simon.