Subject: Re: Hardware Question
To: Sean O'Connell <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/23/1998 12:02:23
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:40:48 -0400 (EDT)  "Sean O'Connell" wrote:

> Does anyone know if there exists a video cable that will break out the
> composite RGB signal from the video board on the 5000's (in particular
> the baseboard video on the Personal DECstation 5000/x) into a separate
> 5 BNC ( RGBHV ) signal?  A misread/oversite on a technical spec has
> left me with two monitors only support separate ttl signals.  Is there
> any hope?

There's a DEC adapter that takes the RGB output of the video board
and converts to VGA.  It's a flat little adapter about 3 inches long
that has 3 RGB sockets on one side and a VGA socket on the other, and
doesn't require external power.  I'd guess there's nothing more than a
few resistors in it.  So you end up with your normal DEC video cable
coming of the DECstation, this little adapter, and then a normal VGA
cable to your monitor.  I don't know if you can then can then get a VGA
to RGBHV adapter that would suit your requirements.  The part number is
29-32549-01, and you can get them for about $40 is Australia.

Hmm, I just re-read that and it doesn't seem to make too much sense, but
hopefully it helps!

Simon.