Subject: Re: 1.3.2 Installation Woes
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG, mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Marcel Chukwunenye <moc@mlb.semi.harris.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1998 06:15:05
>From: "Michael L. Hitch" <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
>To: moc@voyager (Marcel Chukwunenye), port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: 1.3.2 Installation Woes
>
>On Jul 20,  1:47pm, Marcel Chukwunenye wrote:
>> >From: "Michael L. Hitch" <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
>> >
>> >  Hmm - what is the memory configuration in the 5000/240?  I've seen a
>> >problem mentioned on OpenBSD that seemed to indicate a problem with a
>> >5000/240 that had 8M SIMMS installed.
>> Well, I have four (4) disks at target 0, 1, 2, 3 & 4; all seen by
>> the system. I have 136MB of RAM in the following order:
>> 8MB, 32MB; original when I first got the 5000/240. Robbed 3 scraped
>> machines of their (32MB each) memory as the got scraped and added
>> them to this 5000/240. This system was working before shutdown; but
>> the disk got messed up. So, I have memory in this order:
>> 8MB, 32MB,  8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB, 8MB.
>> Atotal of 136MB.
>>
>> The system does not report any errors. The Kernel starts; but the
>> boot hangs after displaying the line that says:
>> "The Regents of the University of Califonia. All Rights Reserved"
>>
>> I brought this disk back to the office today and it boots fine on
>> the helper system 5000/200.
>>
>> The CPU will be in my office tomorrow. In the meantime any clues
>> will help.
>
>  Does "cnfg 3" from the console prompt show the correct memory configuration?
>[I'm curious to know if the PROM memory sizer is smart enough to handle that
>memory configuration.  I would sort of expect it to see an 8M module in the
>first slot, and configure the memory size based on that - which would mean
>the 32M module in the second slot would only be using 8M.  Or the PROM could
>be smart enough to check all the memory slots and configure the memory as
>32M modules, but still indicate the 8M segments.]
>
>  NetBSD will not currently support a mixed memory configuration [where the
>memory slot size is configured as 32M, but populated with 8M modules].
>
>  Also, I am not sure that using 8M modules in a 5000/240 is supported.
>[If I can get my hands on a 5000/240 or 5000/260 again, I plan on checking
>on that.]
>
>  I would suggest pulling out all the 8M modules, and just use the 32M
>module and see if it will boot with that.  [You might also try booting with
>a single 8M module and let me know if that works or not.]
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

Thanks to all of you:
		"emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com>
		"Simon Burge" <simonb@telstra.com.au>
		"Michael L. Hitch" <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>

Memory configuration - single 32MB alone worked.

		     - 32, 8,8,8,8, ... Did not work for NetBSD.
			all configured as 32MB.

		     - 8,32,8,8, failed as you all know.

		     -8,8,8,...,32 failed  all configured as 8MB

Thanks; now on the next problem which is setting NETMASK.
The above machine is now in my house on ISDN network. I need to
set the NETMASK to 255.255.255.248 (fffffff8).  Where is this set during
installation?

Thanks again.
Marcel
		  Marcel O. Chukwunenye
Lead Engineer/SW, Unix System Administrator (407)-729-5430
Email: mchukwun@harris.com