Subject: Re: Tape on NetBSD 1.3.2
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/18/1998 11:06:31
On Jul 18, 10:29am, "emanuel stiebler" wrote:
> Hi all,
> another problem with tape ...
>
> My config: NetBSD 1.3.2. 5 Disks scsi 0-4, cdrom scsi 5, tz30 scsi 6.
>
> doing a "tar cvf /dev/rmt0 *" i get a TLB miss, kernel stack overflow &
> reboot.
>
> I know, that my tape is /dev/rmt1 but why this happens on /dev/rmt0 ?

  You also had this problem before :-)

  My test at that time showed that I got a device unconfigured message
when I tried /dev/rmt0.  I'd guess that because you have a device at
target 5 (which is the target that corresponds to /dev/rmt0), something
is getting confused when trying to access /dev/rmt0.  The disk probe is
going to see the cdrom device, and configure /dev/rz5.  The tape probe
should detect that the device is not a tape, and skip that device.

  The tz driver does attempt to re-probe the device when it's opened,
in case the drive was powered off when the system boots.  The probe
should still fail though, and return an ENXIO error.  If that somehow
suceeded, and the device was opened, it could do strange things when
trying to issue tape commands to the cdrom.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant