Subject: Re: Bad magic after kernel upgrade
To: John Leamon <Leamon@Oracle.pnb.uconn.edu>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/16/1998 15:27:03
John Leamon wrote:

> Hello everybody:
> I'm the new owner of a Dec3100, and a newcomer to Unix.  I recently
> attempted to upgrade the 3100 from 1.3 Beta to 1.3.2, following the
> intsructions posted in  the NetBSD FAQ to the letter.  All seemed well
> until I rebooted, and got a Bad magic  response.

  It's possible that you copied the ecoff-format kernel into the root
partition.  AFAIK the boot blocks can only handle a.out-format kernels (at
least that's what I always use).

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/