Subject: Bad magic after kernel upgrade
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Leamon <Leamon@Oracle.pnb.uconn.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/16/1998 02:06:11
Hello everybody:
I'm the new owner of a Dec3100, and a newcomer to Unix.  I recently
attempted to upgrade the 3100 from 1.3 Beta to 1.3.2, following the
intsructions posted in  the NetBSD FAQ to the letter.  All seemed well
until I rebooted, and got a Bad magic  response.  The following is a
transcript of a boot attempt.  I would not be surpized to learn that the
problem is due to a syntax error on my part, or simple Unix ignornace, but
I surely appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance.
John

KN01 V7.03
08-00-2b-24-cd-13
0x01800000

>>boot rz(0,1,0)netbsd
Boot: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
rz(0,0,0)netbsd: bad magic 464c457f
Can't boot 'rz(0,0,0)netbsd'

Excptn:		<vtr=UTLBM>
Excptn pc:	<0x400008>
Creg:		0x8<CE=0,EXC=RMISS>
Sreg:		0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
Vaddr:		0x400008
Sp:			0x801fffe8
exit (-1)

                                 John Leamon
                          University of Connecticut
                  Department of Physiology and Neurobiology
                       3107 Horsebarn Hill Road, U-156
                            Storrs, CT 06269-4156
                  Tel: (203) 486-1693  Fax: (203) 486-3303