Subject: Re: make on -current [ again ]
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/16/1998 07:11:15
On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 03:28:37PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > -DMULTICAST -DHZ=256 -DMAXUSERS=64 -D_KERNEL  -D__pmax__ -Dpmax -G 0 -c
> > ../../../../arch/mips/mips/locore.S
> > ../../../../arch/mips/mips/locore.S:89: opt_cputype.h: No such file or
> > directory
> > *** Error code 1
>
> re-config your kernel.

In this case, I think that this answer is not the complete answer.

I've the same troubles on a DS3100, and it looks like some code in
arch/mips expects some options to be defined in opt_cputype.h, i suspect
MIPS1 and MIPS3 (or is it MIPS2?). But on the pmax, this is not the
case.

Someone needs to go over the pmax and mips sources and fix this (while
keeping other mips based archs working).

If arch/mips needs some options to be defopt'ed, they should probably
be defopt'ed in arch/mips/conf/ and not in arch/pmax/conf and the
other mips based arch's conf files.

To complicate things further, arch/pmax uses its own pmax specific
CPU options (DEC_3100, etc.), which may or may not be defopt'ed into
opt_cputype.h as well, but I don't really have an opinion about whether
or not generic and specific arch's should use the same opt_xxx headers...

regards
Erik Bertelsen

PS: I know, I know -- I should send this as a PR, but I'll have to leave
this to somebody else... :-)