Subject: Re: DS5000/133 questions
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/01/1998 17:20:19
Hi.

> - Are the [DS5000/133] SIMMS in here propriatary or can I use something
>   I have laying around the house?

Proprietry 80pin, not compatible with conventional PC grade SIMMs.

> - How is the PMAX port with using non-DEC drives? I know it's a
>   stupid question, but I'm just starting w/ this architecture. Can I
>   use a seagate barracuda for instance?

Depends on drives, and possible troubles will vary.
   1. ROM monitor fails to load the kernel image correctly when the drive is
      configured as boot drive.
   2. ROM monitor fails to see the drive correctly with ">> cnfg X" command.
   3. NetBSD kernel fails to probe the drive correctly during boot sequence.
   4. Boresome data corruptions or warning/error messages during normal
      operations.
Any of moderately manufactured SCSI drive should work.  You might experience
troubles with Jetty-Sounded-Ultrally-Fast-Heat-Generator type modern drives.
I replaced original RZ25 with NEC 1GB which I bought 2 years ago at a thrifty
price and am very happy with it.

> - Is the PMAGB-B supported?

Should be. -BB seems a variant of -BA (selectable crystal?).

> - What should this machine compare to speed-wise for a workstation running
>   X?

No definitive figure here.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology