Subject: Re: DS3100 PROM troubles.
To: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/29/1998 21:44:14
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Rob Deker wrote:

> Ok...So the mouse is plugged in now, there are no devices on the SCSI bus,
> and I'm trying to get to the ROM monitor. Now I'm getting:
>
> KN01 V6.71
>
> 7..6..5..4..3..2..
> FAILURE - RESET TO CONTINUE

> any ideas?

Your DS3100 is failing at subtest 2, which is the network interface
(LANCE) test.  I had exactly the same problem with my DS3100 until I
installed an ethernet loopback terminator, and then all was rosy (until
my monitor died a couple of months later, that is; it was nice while it
lasted though;).

Installing either a thick- or a thin-wire terminator should solve this
problem.  Also, make sure the "ethernet button" between the two
connectors is set appropriately to select thin- or thick-wire.  Of
course, if you *are* currently connected to an ethernet, it may just be
a matter of pushing the button to select the appropriate connector.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
	--- James Marshall Hendrix