Subject: Re: Headless DS3100 ?
To: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
From: Zoltan Zsido <zsido@westel900.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/29/1998 22:02:27
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> You need a mouse loopback connector.  I believe The setup for this is
> in the microvax FAQ, and it may even be on the Web site.  If severely
> pressed, a bent paperclip can serve, but you need to get the pins right.

And also a keyboard (or a loopback connector?).

> A couple of people have told me that some PROMs can be
> software-toggled to boot using a serial console, but I dont know how
> to do that. And uness the PROM was set up that way, you'd need to do
> the loopback thing in order to talk to the PROM in the first place
> anyway.

I have such a configuration: DS3100 with VT420 (but the DS3100 is fine).

Since you don't have the framebuffer, the POST never will be able to pass
all tests. (You don't have to plug mouse and the keyboard to DS3100 also,
since they are tested later, then the frame buffer.:-(. But at the setup
time you must plug in at least a keyboard! )
Switch it on, and wait a long time. Your machine will ask for language if
the mouse isn't connected, here you can enter 3 (it means english, if i'm
not wrong). Then wait again a long time, and press ^C. The test is halted.
Then set the console and osconsole variable to 5 using the setenv command.
Set up all com2 speed to 9600. Press the reset button on DS3100.

The console will be in the first serial port (not the printer). After the
reset you must be able to view the POST messages. When you boot the NetBSD
later don't be confused, the OS consol will be on the printer port (not on
the serial.)

Zoltan Zsido