Subject: Re: Adding Disk Drives to NetBSD
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/27/1998 09:49:14
In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.980626214112.28373A-100000@codfish.westel900.net>
	zsido@westel900.net wrote

> As far as I remember Ultrix's chpt is equivalent to DEC OSF/1 's
> disklabel, which is similar to NetBSD's disklabel.

OSF/1 (Digital UNIX) uses "Tahoe disklabel", which is the standard
label scheme since 4.3BSD Tahoe release, and is compatilble with
NetBSD.

Until then, there was no standard way to hold partition information in
diskpacks.  In fact each disklabel information was built into disk
driver source codes.  Growing number of source-code-less commercial
UNIX distribution, many vendors started inventing their own
implementations of "disklabel structure" in the boot sectors.  The
introduction of Tahoe disklabel was just too late.  Ding...

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology