Subject: Re: NFS boot problems
To: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/17/1998 09:09:29
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:44:59 +0200 (MET DST)  Krister Walfridsson wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
>
> > I tried tcpdump to see what my pmax was doing, and now I'm confused.
> > It doesn't send any packet at all after it has loaded the kernel.
> > And the last packet it sends is always an TFTP error packet (if I have
> > managed to parse the tftpdump output correctly) but my tftp deamon
> > writes "read request for //nfsnetbsd.ecoff: success" to syslogd...
>
> I have now read the TFTP rfc and I think I know what is happening.
>
> After receiving 895 kbytes, my pmax sends the error code 3, which means
> "Disk full or allocation exceeded." So it looks like I need to shrink
> nfsnetbsd.ecoff by 100 kbytes... Is this possible? If so, does anyone
> like to compile such a kernel for me? (for a Decstation 5000/20)

Can you have a look at
http://melanoma.cs.rmit.edu.au/~simonb/PMAX-type-list.html and see
if your PROM revision is listed there?  (The PROM version should be
displayed at the end of the self tests).  If your PROM isn't listed
there, can you send me the info and I'll add it to the list.

I thought the nfsnetbsd.ecoff kernel was small enough to boot on any
machine - I'll see if I can make a smaller one for only the 5000/xx
series...

Simon.