Subject: Re: LoFI (DEcaudio) documentation?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/16/1998 17:48:07
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> And it has lots of channels:

>      * 56001 DSP serial output (claimed semi-standard in early 90s;
> 	 works with Ariel ProPort hardware, whatever that is).

  The Ariel ProPort is a reasonable-quality audio interface to the outside
world.  Likely much better ADC/DAC hardware than is on-board.  Other things
that can plug in here are the Singular Solutions AD64x (similar thing), the
Digital Ears/Digital Eyes (don't recall who made these at the moment) and some
other stuff.  It's the same port as is found on NeXT hardware.

> or it could be more like
>    lofi0 at tc
>    audio* at lofi0		# hides all the channels internally
>
> What's the best way to do this?

  I'd hide the channels and make them accessable through the device's IOCTLs or
whatever.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/