Subject: Re: your mail
To: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/1998 22:13:09
On Sat, 30 May 1998, Dr. John Refling wrote:

> I untarred the syssrc.tgz for version 1.3, applied the patch for 1.3.1,
> did a config GENERIC, then make depend, make, and moved the netbsd.aout
> to /netbsd.mygeneric, a halt, and then boot 5/rz0/netbsd.mygeneric and it
> failed, complaining about the clock not being attached anywhere!
>
> Below is a log with this new kernel, and below that is a log with the
> kernel that came from the install.
>
> Any ideas?

	The LAST_MINUTE notes for 1.3.1
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.1/LAST_MINUTE

	contain a note for pmax users that explain you need to apply
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.1/source/pmax-rtc.diff.gz

	to build a pmax kernel.

	Though would now suggest you update to 1.3.2 since its out :)

> Also, I would like the machine not to halt when a break on the serial
> console is sent (which occurs when power-cycling the pc I am using for a
> terminal!).  How would I do that?
>
> By the way, can anyone explain why we have to use the .aout version
> (the sparc arch for example does not have this step).
>
> Also, the man pages for the elf stuff are buggy, and the elfstrip command is
> missing:
>
> |  dec# man -k elf
> |  elf2aout (1) - convert a NetBSD ELF-format executable to NetBSD a.out format
> |  elf2ecoff (1) - convert a NetBSD ELF-format executable to NetBSD a.out format
>                                                                     ^^^^^
> |  elfstrip (1) - remove unnecessary information from ELF executable files
> |  dec#
> |  dec# man elf2aout
> |  man: no entry for elf2aout in the manual.
> |  dec#
> |  dec# man elf2ecoff
> |  man: no entry for elf2ecoff in the manual.
> |  dec#
> |  dec# man elfstrip
> |  man: no entry for elfstrip in the manual.
> |  dec#
> |  dec# elf2aout
> |  usage: elf2aout <elf executable> <a.out executable> [-s]
> |  dec# elf2ecoff
> |  usage: elf2ecoff <elf executable> <ECOFF executable> [-s]
> |  dec# elfstrip
> |  elfstrip: Command not found.

	Could you check if this still happens under NetBSD-1.3.2 and
	submit a PR if so? (using send-pr).

	Many thanks.

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde