Subject: Re: mindless boredom, speed and compiling kernels
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/20/1998 13:31:36
On Wed, 20 May 1998 09:43:55 +0900 (JST)  Toru Nishimura wrote:

> In article <199805191208.WAA25481@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
> 	simonb@telstra.com.au wrote
>
> > I loaded a copy of /usr/src/sys onto a local disk on the same machine,
> > and re-run the tests (sans the -j 10 compile).
> > ... snip ...
> >  The average saving by going to local disk was in the order of 30
> > to 40 seconds, or about 2% (if the mental math is correct).
>
> Thank you for clear feedbacks.  I have to recheck why my case had
> hideous throughput. (busy network, sluggissh NFS server)

The NetBSD box and the file server are hanging off the same hub, and
the network is not that busy.  The main reason I keep stuff on the file
server and not the NetBSD box is that the file server gets backed up
nightly, the NetBSD maybe once a month or so.

> By the way, I'm occationally experiencing process lockup symptoms with
> parallel kernel make.  GCCs just stop with flag D and there is no way
> to kill them.  I tracked down the symptoms were related with directory
> lookups, specifically around /usr/src/sys, which are accessed heavily
> and concurrently during parallel kernel make.  Simon, have you ever
> experienced such, or never?

Never had that problem, but I can't say that I do parallel compiles that
often...

Simon.