Subject: Re: Ultrix Install
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/14/1998 23:40:35
[ On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 18:47:57 (+0900), Toru Nishimura wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Ultrix Install
>
> In the case of "installation from ULTRIX," we can expect the ULTRIX swap
> space will be larger than 32MB-worth.  I checked ULTRIX /etc/disktab, and
> learnt default partition of possible DECstations' 3.5" DEC drives are;
>
>         RZ23, RZ24, RZ24L       33,345 KB
>         RZ25, (RZ25L, RZ26)     65,536 KB
>
> Unless former owner intensionally shrank swap space size, 32MB
> diskimage is expected to work flawlessly (It seems safe even
> considering 5" disks), however, it's a nice practice to check swap
> space before writing after all.

That's good to hear.  I truely wouldn't expect anyone to try and run
with less than 32MB of swap on a MIPS machine, but then it's often the
case that surplus machines have but one of what was once perhaps many
disks remaining with them, and if you're lucky enough to have Ultrix in
enough of a bootable state to use as a starting point for a NetBSD
install, it may be possible that you're still short of swap space.

I.e. I think the instructions should still advise checking for available
swap space.  The alternative is to wipe out some other partion or to
overwrite the swap and clobber the next partion.  In either case it
probably makes backing out of the install nearly impossible without
first having done complete system backups under Ultrix.  To that end it
probably wouldn't even hurt to suggest 'dd'in the raw disk to tape
(assuming one has a suitable capacity tape) before starting, and of
course give the appropriate commands to restore the disk from tape
assuming only the ROM monitor remains functional (or whatever
alternative to dd that would be easier to restore from).

> Installation with OS-less system or replaced disk will be totally
> different story because there is no way to boot the machine up.

In such cases I guess the only hope is that you can set up an
environment where you can netboot the machine, and of course that the
netboot will indeed work; or you have a "helper" machine nearby that can
talk to a the disk you plan to use in your DECstation.

> And, it would be nice to provide concise information to inspect
> the target hardwares using BOOT ROM monitor command, titled like
> "before starting installation" section.

Indeed!  Is there any chance that some of the ROM monitor manuals are
available on-line from digital (or elsewhere)?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>