Subject: Re: Ultrix Install
To: Jeff Mahoney <jdmsys@rit.edu>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/12/1998 20:32:20
Jeffrey Mahoney wrote in response to my installing from ultrix:

>  I have an idea.. Don't use the ultrix install. There's no need to. I haven't
>  used it once, except
>  for way-back-when in the 1.[01]a days.
>  It's cake to set it up to use bootp.

This assumes that you have hardware for another unix machine, and have
some flavor of unix already installed, which may defeat the entire point
using NetBSD.

This is another example of the chicken-and-the-egg scenerio which I
see too often in software.  "Read the NetBSD man pages on booting to
install NetBSD".  Well that's hard to do without a working system.
"Install a bootp server and netboot".  That's hard to do too especially
if one hasn't installed NetBSD the FIRST time and doesn't have a bootp
server, or doesn't have another machine to use.

One port of TeX/LaTeX had all the installation instructions written in
TeX for you to print AFTER you installed it!

I'm not trying to be too picky---I just want to point out issues which, if
addressed, could make NetBSD accessible to those without access to the
commercial Ultrix software, (same for Sunos for the sparc), spare machines
(and the hours and hours it takes just piecing them together), a past
history administering ultrix or sunos peculiarities, etc, etc, etc.

I can and do spend the time banging my head on the wall and eventually get
things installed and configured for my particular hardware situation, but
I'm afraid that others will give up more easily.