Subject: Re: Ultrix Install
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/12/1998 17:23:24
Greg A. Woods spoke:

> BTW, the install from Ultrix using the diskimage in swap works great,
> though there are no step-by-step instructions, so if you don't know both
> NetBSD and the related hardware and native OS quite well it can be quite
> a chore.  For instance it took quite a bit of poking and memory
> gymnastics before I remembered to type 'pstat -s' to see if the swap
> partition was big enough or if I'd over-write the next one with the
> diskimage.  Since Ultrix doesn't normally have gzip it's also a good
> idea to ungzip everything on the ftp server first too.

Yes, I agree.  PMAX maintainers, please hear this!  I had to learn more
Ultrix than I wanted to, just to get NetBSD to boot.  I knew a little
from long ago, so that helped.  But it defeats part of the purpose of
NetBSD if one needs to spend too much time learning ultrix!

Also, the point of not having gzip on ultrix is IMPORTANT.  There needs
to be a pre-compiled ultrix version of it available in the distribution,
just as there is an ultrix version of disklabel.  You don't want to know
(and I have obliterated it from my memory anyway) the contorted path I had
to take just to get gzip installed on ultrix!

I am willing to help with installation instructions, as always.

When is 1.3.2 due?