Subject: Re: GENERIC kernel hanging during boot
To: Andreas Priebe <apriebe@aip.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/07/1998 09:13:52
On May  3, 10:23pm, Andreas Priebe wrote:
> when building a kernel from GENERIC (current as of yesterday)
> when booting it stops after the line
>
> dc0 at ioasic0 offset 0x200000 priority 7
>
> i.e. just before the clock0 at ....  line.
>
> The machine in question is a Decstation 5000/200 (which runs
> just fine with a kernel from mid-March 98).
>
> Any ideas?

  It looks like the last round of changes for attaching the dc device broke
things.  The dcattach() routine used to only initialize the keyboard/mouse
ports if raster_console() returned true [presumably if the console was
using the keyboard/display].  The current version always tries to initialize
the keyboard/mouse unless the serial console is on line 0.  I'd guess you
don't have a mouse attached, so the MouseInit() routine hangs waiting
for a response from the mouse.

  I'm not sure what the correct check should be here.  As a temporary
workaround, you could comment out the MouseInit() call in dcattach() in
pmax/dev/dc.c.  That should get your system running.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant