Subject: Re: Perl summary and questions.
To: None <bicknell@ufp.org, port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/07/1998 11:07:53
On May  7,  9:10am, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> 	I recently returned to the NetBSD camp installing 1.3.1 on my
> 5000/25.  One of the required bits of software was perl, so I set about
> making 5.004_04 work.  After a few abortative attempts I finally got it
> to compile.  Compiling is now easy, see below where I attached my copy
> of the hints/netbsd.sh file from perl modified to compile on pmax out
> of the box.
>
> 	Here's the problem though, the shared library loading isn't
> working.  An example from 'make test':
>
> lib/anydbm........Can't load '../lib/auto/Fcntl/Fcntl.so' for module Fcntl: (null) at
> ../lib/DynaLoader.pm line 166.
>
>  at ./lib/anydbm.t line 11
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./lib/anydbm.t line 11.
>
> 	I was hoping that shared libraries were now working well enough
> for this to happen. :-(  I'd be happy to try and trace this further, but
> I'm no shared library expert.  So, has anyone made shared libraries work
> with perl?  Does anyone have any hints?

  The ld.so on the pmax does not support dynamic loading of shared
libraries.  The updated ld.elf_so in -current should do this, but I have
only verified that a simple test worked.  I haven't seen any verification
that it works for perl yet.

  You would need to get src/libexec/ld.elf_so from the -current sources and
build and install it.  It should be compatible with the existing ld.so.
You may want to keep a copy of /usr/libexec/ld.so just in case - ld.elf_so
will replace it so old executables still work.  GCC should be updated so
that it specifically specifies /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so, but the old version
should still work.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu