Subject: X on 3100 hangs?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.McKusick.COM>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/07/1998 02:20:14
Hey,

This is just in case anyone else has come up against this before and has a
solution :-) My 3100 seems unable to run X. It used to run X fine, and
nothing really significant has changed in the few months that it's been
headless. I'm running a -current kernel as of last month sometime, but the
same thing happens with a much earlier kernel (pre-1.3.1). I've tried
reversing the changes I know I've made; disabled my extra swap partition,
stripped down my .xinitrc to a single xterm, etc.

The symptom is that I type "startx" and the screen inverts, black on white,
exactly like it normally does for a half second before it shows the gray
background. It never, however, gets to the gray background, just sticks
at the inverted screen.

A ktrace shows that something rather odd is happening over and over again
in an infinite loop:
   327 Xcfbpmax CALL  select(0x6,0x7ffff780,0,0x7ffff788,0)
   327 Xcfbpmax RET   select 1
   327 Xcfbpmax CALL  read(0x5,0x7ffff818,0xc)
   327 Xcfbpmax GIO   fd 5 read 0 bytes
       ""
   327 Xcfbpmax RET   read 0

File descriptor 5 is a socket, and it was connected. I can't think of
anything the X server itself would be connecting to besides the font
server, so I'm assuming that this is xfs.

Anyone got any clues as to why it's doing this and/or how to fix it?

Thanks! :-)
	~Ben