Subject: Re: Kernel doesn't probe memory size correctly...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric McWhorter <ericm@gauss.math.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/06/1998 08:45:22
Bill Harris writes:
 > Joel Reicher wrote:
 >
 > > On a 5000/240 at least (which is what I have) the kernel appears to check
 > > the size of the first memory module, and then just count how many slots are
 > > filled. This gives the wrong total memory for mixed size modules.
 > >
 > > Might not actually be what it's doing, but that's sure what it looks like.
 > >
 > >         - Joel
 >

 > On my 240,  I just bought 12  8meg cards.  I currently have two 32's in the
 > machine.  Can I mix and match?  I'd like to have at least 1 32 meg card and
 > the other 12 8meg cards if the system will recognize it.

As a data point, this definitely did not work under ULTRIX.  You could
not use 12 8meg SIMMs and 2 32meg SIMMs in the same machine and have
them all map.

If memory serves, what did work (I'm fuzzy on this, it's been a while,
and I have a leaky brain) was 1 or more 32meg SIMMs followed by one 8meg
SIMM.  Two 8meg following 32megers didn't work, but one did iff it was
in the last filled slot.  This is for ULTRIX only.  I have never tried
this under NetBSD.

--
Eric McWhorter                     2-207 Wilson Hall, MSU, Bozeman, MT 59717
College of Letters and Science     (406)994-1788