Subject: Tcl Shared libs and 8mm tape drives
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/05/1998 14:43:53
Well, bought a Exabyte 8200 at the sidewalk sale Saturday
and hooked it up to my ds5k/240.  Seems to work fine, but
two issues bother me.  What's the correct block size/density/
size to use for dump?

mt doesn't seem to recognize the 8mm format to well.  I
also seem to be having what appears to be scsi disconnect
problems with the tape drive.  Getting horrid throughput
and the os doesn't seem to be able to read from the drive
and write to the tape at the same time, no matter the buffer
size I use.  I'm looking at upgrading the firmware on the
drive, since it appears Exabyte has addressed this with a
firmware upgrade.

Also, has anyone gotten tcl 7.6p2 or 8.1xx to work with
any shared libs?  Tcl compiles and runs fine, but if for
example you try to compile a shared lib, tcl can't load
the file.  Compiling Scotty/Tnm 2.16 or 2.18 with either
Tcl 7.6p2 or 8.1.x demonstrates this.

I can do it with no problems using the same code on a
FreeBSD 2.2.5 box.

This seems to happen on a 1.3 and 1.3.1 box.  Any ideas?

Bill

--
Bill Harris
Internet America (Systems)