Subject: Re: Upgrading
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/02/1998 08:46:58
Dang, you never quite can remember everything off the top of your head,
can you :)

On Fri, 01 May 1998 14:39:12 -0700  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> But there are about six binaries which used to be in /sbin but are now
> in /usr/sbin (quota stuff and NFS daemons:) Don't forget to delete the
> /sbin versions of these binaries. If you don't, and you start NFS, the
> old binaries can cause your system to wedge.  (nfsd and nfsiod are the
> main suspects here.)

A simple way to do this would be (and use sh, not csh!):

	$ cd /usr/sbin
	$ for i in *; do
	> ls -l /sbin/$i 2>/dev/null
	> done

This will work for csh users, but just doesn't look as nice:

	% cd /usr/sbin
	% foreach i (*)
	? ls -l /sbin/$i |& grep -v 'No such file or directory'
	? end

You could of course use "rm -f /sbin/$i", but I personally wouldn't :)
Any better ways?

Re the tar --unlink thing.  I've just become so used to the --unlink
being the default that I'd thought it had been there forever.  A quick
check shows that feature has been in only since October last year.  Oh
well.  Under NetBSD, you should see

	tar: Could not create file foo : Text file busy

if a file is busy, so it should be obvious that something is amiss.

Simon.