Subject: Upgrading
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/30/1998 16:36:40
I have all my network and console problems nicely ironed out now, so I
thought I'd create a new set of problems by upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3.1.
I've done quite a bit of downloading, but the documents I've found all
seem to concentrate on installation, not upgrading.  Seeing as I already
have the system working, I don't see why I should go about doing the
netbooting business.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions then, so I can get busy upgrading.
First, if I don't intend to netboot at all, can someone give me the
*exact* name of the kernel image I should unpack in the root dir?  The
installation writeups give 3 names, none of which match those files that
are available fron ftp.netbsd.org.  The way I *think* I understand it, I
need ecoff if I intend to netboot, but I can use and elf-linked kernel
if I will have the kernel on the local system ... is that right?

I've downloaded all the rest of the binary sets files already, so to
upgrade, I think all I need to do is copy my existing kernel to
kernel.old, unpack the new kernel, unpack all the verious sets tar files
in place (I will be careful about where they go, obviously), then just
reboot ... does that sound like a winning strategy?

My ultimate goal is to download the current sources and rebuild the
entire system here, but that's after I get to 1.3.1.  Once I get to that
level, I'll be back about the various methods to get current.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic(FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD)