Subject: Re: miscellaneous startup probs
To: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/27/1998 01:36:34
On Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:34:24 -0400 (EDT)  Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:11:38 -0400 (EDT)  Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > > I am finally trying to complete the startup of my NetBSD installed
> > > DECStation 5000, and having some problems, wonder if this is the right
> > > place to put this ... if it's not, please don't actually answer the
> > > questions, just tell me where to repost.
> > >
> > > 	[ stuff deleted ]
> > >
> > > Couldn't open RGB_DB '/store/lib/X11/rgb'
> >
> > What version of NetBSD are you installing?  The really old X server used
> > /store, but anything from 1.3 or 1.3.1 should use the normal /usr/X11R6
> > stuff.
>
> I thought I'd included at the bottom that I am using 1.2 ...

So you did :(

> I can't
> upgrade to the latest until I can get past the network problem.

You should be able to install 1.3.1 by netbooting of the FreeBSD box.
It only requires NFS, tftp and bootp/dhcp.  Is there anything you need
to keep on the pmax?

> I have
> the console char mapping right now, but there is still some network
> thing lurking.  Picnic is my FreeBSD box, and jaunt is the new NetBSD
> box ... I can successfully ping jaunt from picnic, but not vice versa.
> When I try to do some network test (telnet or ftp) from jaunt, it just
> hangs, and when I try from picnic to jaunt, I get stuff like:
>
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied

I take it that you can telnet to jaunt from another box?  The only thing
that comes to mind is that maybe the netmask is wrong.  Check the output
of "ifconfig le0" on the pmax, and "ifconfig <interface>" on the FreeBSD
box, and check that the netmasks are the same.

> So, you're telling me that my X problem will be fixed once I upgrade ...
> and I should concentrate on getting the network problem fixed ... I'll
> keep experimenting.

This sounds reasonable.

Simon.