Subject: Re: miscellaneous startup probs
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/26/1998 23:36:53
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> As Simon Burge pointed out, I think it's quite possible IP address
> assignment problem in;
> 	+ network interface -- IP/network/broadcast
> 	+ routing table
> 	+ DNS resolver or NIS/YP things
> 	+ other network administrations

Thanks, I'm just coming to that conclusion myself.  My textbooks on
networking all discuss a network that assumes there's enough number to
go around, and that's just not the situation I have.  I undoubtedly have
mucked up something, I guess I have to read some more.  I have 3 network
ID's that are not coverable by a netmask in my little local network of 3
machines.  One machine has the ppp line to the world, and I have the
little 3 machine ethernet here, but only 3 numbers total, not an extra
number for the network itself (like my books would have it).

I guess I have to read some more.

> Tohru Nishimura
> Nara Institute of Science and Technology

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |