Subject: Re: miscellaneous startup probs
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/26/1998 09:34:24
On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Simon Burge wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:11:38 -0400 (EDT)  Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I am finally trying to complete the startup of my NetBSD installed
> > DECStation 5000, and having some problems, wonder if this is the right
> > place to put this ... if it's not, please don't actually answer the
> > questions, just tell me where to repost.
> >
> > 	[ stuff deleted ]
> >
> > Couldn't open RGB_DB '/store/lib/X11/rgb'
>
> What version of NetBSD are you installing?  The really old X server used
> /store, but anything from 1.3 or 1.3.1 should use the normal /usr/X11R6
> stuff.

I thought I'd included at the bottom that I am using 1.2 ... I can't
upgrade to the latest until I can get past the network problem.  I have
the console char mapping right now, but there is still some network
thing lurking.  Picnic is my FreeBSD box, and jaunt is the new NetBSD
box ... I can successfully ping jaunt from picnic, but not vice versa.
When I try to do some network test (telnet or ftp) from jaunt, it just
hangs, and when I try from picnic to jaunt, I get stuff like:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied

So, you're telling me that my X problem will be fixed once I upgrade ...
and I should concentrate on getting the network problem fixed ... I'll
keep experimenting.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |