Subject: Re: CDROM oddity :-)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/16/1998 14:28:23
On Apr 15,  5:56pm, mjbedy wrote:

>    I've been so busy that I completely forgot about that. I was going to
> try to make it do it again, wasn't I?
>
>    I'll try to find time this weekend to apply that patch and see what
> happens.

  I was able to duplicate this on a 5000/200 with an RRD42 running OpenBSD.
I enabled the message that was supposed to have been printed before the
reboot is done, and it did indeed show up:

asc_intr: 1: len 9 (fifo 0)
rebooting...

  Now all I need to try to do is figure out why this condition occurs and
how to either keep it from occuring or how to recover from it.

  One interesting thing I also noticed:  if all I tried was the
dd if=/dev/rz4a after booting the system, it would complete sucessfully
every time.  Once I tried to mount the disk, then the dd would cause the
system to reboot.

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Dr. John Refling wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it works for a while.  I can mount it, descend into the directory
> > structure, look at several files, etc.
> >
> > When I burn CDROMs, I create a checksum list and I verify each file.  There
> > really is 650MB of data on it, and it is in this massive data read from the
> > CDROM that the system gives up the ghost and rolls over in silence.
> >
> > It fails at different places at different times (often over half way thru)
> > with the same disc.

  Was this occurring during normal filesystem access (i.e. user commands
to a mounted filesystem structure)?

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu