Subject: PostgreSQL weirdness and C++
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Gapen <jagapen@students.wisc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/15/1998 00:31:17
    I've built the latest PostgreSQL (6.3.1) on my pmax, but....
    I couldn't run initdb because the pg_id program couldn't load libpq.so.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH included /usr/local/pgsql/lib, /etc/ld.so.conf included
/usr/local/pgsql/lib and ldconfig had been run.  Indeed, ldd showed that
libpq.so resolved to /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.  No dice.  Root could run
pg_id with no problem.  Finally, I symlinked /usr/lib/libpq.so to
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.1.1, and it works for normal users.  (I did see
reference to this problem in my archive of this list, but I couldn't find a
solution.)
    Okay, so I got it running past the pg_id part of the initdb script, but
now the postgres program says "Bad system call (core dumped)".  Ktrace shows
"11749 postgres CALL  #221 (unimplemented semget)".  PostgreSQL supposedly
supports NetBSD, so why this problem?
    On a somewhat related topic, it didn't build libpq++ because it thinks
there's no C++ compiler on the system.  This is technically true, because C++
is broken.  The compiler works, but the linker can't find all the standard C++
symbols, as if libstdc++ were toast.  (Again, I saw reference to this problem
in the archives, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1.3.)  Any ideas?  I just
downloaded and installed the 1.3.1 distribution compiler set, nothing
different.