Subject: Re: Illegal request
To: Greg Wohletz <greg@duke.CS.UNLV.EDU>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/09/1998 11:07:16
On Apr  9,  9:15am, Greg Wohletz wrote:
> Apr  9 08:03:44 lazy /netbsd: asc_get_status: cmdreg 11, fifo cnt 7

  Haven't we been here before?

> Apr  9 08:03:44 lazy /netbsd: rz0: Illegal request, blk 3452431
> What does this mean?  I'm quite certain that the drives themselves are OK.

  The first message indicates that the ASC driver got to the status phase
of a SCSI operation and has 7 bytes of data sitting in the 53c94 chip.
There should only be 2 - the status byte and the message byte.  The message
following that would appear to be the results of a request sense in
response to a "check-condition" status.

  I would like to see the results on a kernel compiled with DEBUG - that
includes a trace dump of the ASC driver interrupts up to that point which
can give me an idea of what the device and driver did up to that point.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant