Subject: Compiling problems - linker broken?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mjbedy <mjbedy@Oakland.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/05/1998 19:34:48
   First off, I am using the latest version (1.3.1) of NetBSD, so this
isn't the ld.so bug of earlier. (Just installed it this weekend)

   Here's the situation: I was trying to compile Afterstep-1.4 on the
pmax, and during the link phase for the Pager module, I am getting the
following errors:

(typed from memory, so forgive stupid errors)
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so ; unreferenced symbol "XUngrabServer"
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so ; unreferenced symbol "XGetImage"
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so ; unreferenced symbol "XFreeColor"
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so ; unreferenced symbol "XGrabServer"

  ...and one or two more that I can't remember.

   I have D/l'ed the source for Xpm and compiled it with no problems. I
have also tried the version on ftp.netbsd.org with the same results.

   All the right libraries seem to be included in the link. I have checked
libX11.so with gdb, and the functions in question seem to be there ('call
XUngrabServer' says that, yes, there does seem to be a function by that
name in libX11)

   I have checked the source of xpm and Afterstep, and I can't find any
reason for it to behave this way. xpm seems to work for other programs - I
ended up just compiling FVWM 2 instead - worked without a hitch.

   Is there anything else I can check, or does it sound like a bug in
something or other?

   Unfortunatly I can't run my favorite WM Windowmaker since it doesn't
agree with X11R5 servers, so I was hoping for Afterstep :-)

   Thanks,
      - Mike