Subject: 3100 Memory problems
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/01/1998 23:47:09
  Hello, all.  This may not be strictly NetBSD-related but I think you're the
best lot to ask.
  I've had NetBSD/pmax 1.3 running on a 2100 for over two months with no real
problems.  Today I got a 3100 and so moved the disk and some of the RAM over to
it.  It booted fine and ran, but died under heavy load.  After some futzing
around I discovered that if I only insert 8MB of RAM and try to boot I get the
following (typed in, since I have the PMAX hooked up to its monitor):

>> boot -f rz(0,1,0)gennetbsd    # This is the generic 1.3 kernel from late
								 # December.
[ blah blah blah ]
boot device rz1
root on rz1a dumps on rz1b
root file system type: ffs
ktlbmiss: PC 80030f0c RA 80030f14 ADR ffffbffc
SR 82010 CR b000000c SP ffffbfe8
TLB  0 vad 0xffffc000 0x002f1000 MG
TLB  1 vad 0xffffd000 0x002f2000 MG
TLB  2 vad 0xc1ce5000 0x002f1000 MG
TLB  3 vad 0xc1ce6000 0x002f2000 MG
panic: kernel stack overflow

...and it tries to sync disks, dying in the attempt with another bomb similar
to the above.  Ultrix (v4.4, Rev. 69) seems to run well enough in 8MB to boot
multiuser and start X (of course it's butt-slow).

The box passes all the built-in diags (including the 't b' and 't m' ones).
The PROM claims on startup to be V7.01 (same rev as the 2100).
  Any ideas?  I have -current sup'd as of last night on the disk but haven't
compiled a kernel from it yet.  Is this a symptom of a bug that's been fised
recently?
  Thanks very much in advance.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca