Subject: NetBSD/pmax pitfalls -- Re: X-windows trouble
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/30/1998 17:09:54
> It also states "Complete instructions are in the installation notes on
> the pmax web page.".

It's time to rework installation document...

> The install documents also says: "The DECstation PROMS only know how to
> read ECOFF (an extension of COFF) format executables.". It took me a
> couple of hours to figure out that I had to use a.out format to be able
> to boot the NetBSD kernel after disklabeling the system.

It's confusing DECstation PROM tftp routine requires .ecoff image, while
NetBSD/pmax bootloader requires .aout image.  Rules;

	+ for netbooting, put nfsnetbsd.ecoff tftpboot directory.
	+ In root directory, put netbsd.aout there, not ELF (no suffix)
	  nor ECOFF (suffix .ecoff)

The latter will occationally bite people who compiles new kernel and
mistakenly copies "netbsd" file into the root directory.  It's an ELF
image.  Correct answer is to copy "netbsd.aout" into "/netbsd" file.
Someday a.out kernel loader will be replaced with ELF equivalent, hopefully.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology