Subject: Re: TLB miss on NetBSD 1.3
To: emanuel stiebler <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/29/1998 20:35:33
On Mar 26,  2:54pm, "emanuel stiebler" wrote:
> today i put a TZ30 tape in my decstation 5000/133. trying something like
>
> tar tvf /dev/rmt0
>
> i get an "trap: TLB miss status 0xff10, cause 30000008, pc 801290f8, v 1000
> .. in kernel mode"
> & kernel panic immediately.
>
> What i'm doing wrong ?!?
>
> thanks,
> emanuel
>
> P.S. system NetBSD 1.3,
> 5 disks rz0-rz4, tape hooked up as scsi 6

  This doesn't make any sense:  a tape on ID 6 will be configured as
tz1 and referenced as /dev/rmt1.  /dev/rmt0 will be unconfigured.

  I hooked a TZ30 up to a 5000/25 as ID 6 and get:

    tar: can't open /dev/rmt0 : Device not configured

  Using /dev/rmt1 results in:

    asc_intr: data overrun: buflen 12 dmalen 12 tc 0 fifo 0

followed by a reboot.

  I've used the TZ30 before, but I don't remember if it was on a 3100 or
a 5000/25 (which are two completely different SCSI drivers). It
definitely doesn't work now with the ASC driver (1.3 as well as
-current).

  [Hmmm - I just booted Ultrix and verified that the tape drive was
working, and the tape still contained data from when I was testing the
drive on NetBSD.  It would appear that the testing was done on the
5000/25, so I know the driver did work at one time.  Looks like something
broke since September 1996.]

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu