Subject: Re: Warning: Source reorganization
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/27/1998 12:08:43
I have a question for NetBSD/pmax people.

>> better prepare for seeing MI device names
>> like sd and zs -- unless we add hooks, to override the
>> SunOS-compatible names in MI drivers with the names used by DEC proms.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see the hooks - it's an occasional source of
> *major* irritation when the console reports different device names
> than the OS actually uses.

Inconsistencies in DEC device names are derived from the company's loooong
product history.  It's a sort of sad fact.

BTW.

How significant to preserve Ultrix style 'rz/tz' SCSI device in further
NetBSD/pmax kernel?

   my Q: To preserve 'rz/tz' name is

   your A: Choose one
    [1] mandatory; being forced to switch to 'sd/cd/st/..' is harmful.
    [2] preferable; less painful in transition even though it would cause
        users' confusions.
    [3] don't care; it's just ok to use MI SCSI names.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology