Subject: Re: Lesstif on pmax
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Henry Parker <henry@ph330812.student.uq.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/27/1998 09:27:33
On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 09:38:40PM +0100, Harald Bjoroy wrote:
> I tried to use the pkgsrc tools to build lesstif for my pmax system.

My build succeeded, so it *is* possible!  :)

> The makefile passes the argument -R:NONE to gcc (or cc). This option is
> NOT documented in either cc or gcc manpages.

Yes, I noticed that too---but my build didn't fail because of it.

> So, after all compilation (seemingly successfully) was finished, i did
> a(n equally successfull) make install, and I was almost happy.
>
> Now when I try to start mwm, it stops with the message "./mwm: can't load
> library libXm.so'". The installation completed without problems, and
> ldconfig lists amongst others "30 - ELF libXm.so.0.82 =..." (yes, the
> full path to the lib).

Now *that* is precisely the same behaviour my system exhibits with
libXm.so.0.82 and libncurses, much to my distaste.  Of course, mwm is
currently running perfectly for me.  A `ktrace mwm' followed by a kdump
seemed to indicate that while *ldd* knew where to look, the *dynamic
linker* only looked in /lib, /usr/lib, and (I think) /usr/X11R6/lib.

Which is very interesting, since my /etc/ld.so.conf only listed
/usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/local/lib as the other locations to look for
shared libraries.

In the end, I think I simply copied libXm to somewhere that the dynamic
linker could find it.

Cheers,
Jason

(yes, my first post to the list)

--
  Jason Henry Parker, ph330812@student.uq.edu.au
``All consistent axiomatic formulations of number