Subject: Lesstif on pmax
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/26/1998 21:38:40
Hi.

I tried to use the pkgsrc tools to build lesstif for my pmax system.

The build process stops somewhere in building clients/Motif-1.2/ stuff.

The makefile passes the argument -R:NONE to gcc (or cc). This option is
NOT documented in either cc or gcc manpages.

Also, when I tried to manually edit the Makefiles causing the problems by
removing the option, it stopped on "cannot find file -lXm".

Well, then I tried to build the package using ./configure and make. This
didn't stop the same way, but it didn't compile the same files. The same
problem existed in the Makefiles, by removing it it seemed to work.

So, after all compilation (seemingly successfully) was finished, i did
a(n equally successfull) make install, and I was almost happy.

Now when I try to start mwm, it stops with the message "./mwm: can't load
library libXm.so'". The installation completed without problems, and
ldconfig lists amongst others "30 - ELF libXm.so.0.82 =..." (yes, the
full path to the lib).

What now?

I am running the generic 1.3.1 kernel. If this is a bug and I should
report it using some other tool, please be a bit patient with me, I first
lay my hands on pmax and NetBSD about a week ago, and assume that
everything that goes wrong is my mistyping. When I get a bit more
confident I will learn how to do this the right way.

BTW!! Gunnar Helliesen used pkgsrc on the same files, downloaded to
NetBSD/i386 and ran make. This compiled with a smile, and everything
seemed to work (maybe that machine runs on an older kernel); even the
-R:NONE option ran with no complaint.

Either give me some hints, or just explain why this will not work.

Harald.