Subject: Upgrade of DS3100 - Tips wanted
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/21/1998 18:43:08
I hope this message offends pepople on this list; it isn't directly tied
to the port, but;

I just got a Decstation 3100 with a B/W monitor, enough videoram to drive
the display without colors or gray-shades. It also has 12 MB RAM.

I opened the box, and saw that it had 6x2MB RAM (72-pins simm-type), and
that tere where 4 free slots (mabye 6?). Also it has one video-ram card
with the same format as new SDRAM chips.

I just wonder, is it possible that it takes "normal" 72-pins SIMMS? I
would like to upgrade it to about 16-32MB, but not at "any cost"; so if
it takes some kind of "normal" memory, I would like to know. (I suspect
it to at least require parity ram, but it could still be "normalish").

I don't expect the video-ram to be upgradeable in a cheap way, but ...
any tips?

Would it be possible (if I upgrade the video ram) to use a "normal" 17"
moinitor? I have a DEC 17" monitor I got with my DEC PC XL 466 years ago
which maybe could be used?

Any other tips on upgrading?

If nothing else; any tips on where to get these questions answered?
(Without using lots of daytime hours on the phone)

Regards,

Harald.