Subject: Re: /usr via nfs
To: James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/20/1998 09:39:30
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:50:50 -0500  "James O'Kane" wrote:

> After having finally getting my pmax up and running, (Thanks to all of your
> help), I had to 'borrow' the drive for another machine. What I was left
> with was a 77M drive. I was able to get the basic stuff installed, but I'm
> having trouble with my next step. I'm mounting an nfs volume from another
> machine as /remotedrive and I made /usr a symlink to /remotedrive/usr. Now
> the machine isn't able to boot fully on its own. It's missing some files
> like grep, which is understandable if they were in /usr.
>
> What I need help with is tracking down what files are needed from /usr in
> order to boot. I read /etc/rc but I can't figure out from that why things
> aren't working as is, the network startup seems to be before any reference
> to /usr and I have /remoredrive listed as critical filesystem.

On my "main" NetBSD/pmax machine, I've never had /usr on local disk -
it's always been NFS mounted.  I've always just mounted the filesystem
on /usr.  Because you're using the /remotedrive thing, you'll probably
need to add /remotedrive to the "critical_filesystems" variable in
rc.conf.  What would be happening now is that /remotedrive won't be
mounted until well down in /etc/rc, and /etc/rc assumes /usr is mounted
earlier than this.

Anyways, here's (part of) my fstab:

	vlad:~ 1> head -6 /etc/fstab
	/dev/rz0a                       /               ffs     rw 1 1
	/dev/rz0b                       none            swap    sw
	kernfs                          /kern           kernfs  rw
	procfs                          /proc           procfs  rw
	balrog:/dlboot0/netbsd.pmax/usr /usr            nfs     rw
	balrog:/dlboot0/vlad.root/var   /var            nfs     rw

and the corresponding df:

	vlad:~ 2> df | head -6
	Filesystem                      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
	/dev/rz0a                           31453    22731     7149    76%    /
	balrog:/dlboot0/netbsd.pmax/usr   1770606  1127683   554393    67%    /usr
	balrog:/dlboot0/vlad.root/var     1770606  1127683   554393    67%    /var
	kernfs                                  1        1        0   100%    /kern
	procfs                                  4        4        0   100%    /proc

I'd recommend direct-mounting /usr without the symlink...

Simon.