Subject: /usr via nfs
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/19/1998 15:50:50
After having finally getting my pmax up and running, (Thanks to all of your
help), I had to 'borrow' the drive for another machine. What I was left
with was a 77M drive. I was able to get the basic stuff installed, but I'm
having trouble with my next step. I'm mounting an nfs volume from another
machine as /remotedrive and I made /usr a symlink to /remotedrive/usr. Now
the machine isn't able to boot fully on its own. It's missing some files
like grep, which is understandable if they were in /usr.

What I need help with is tracking down what files are needed from /usr in
order to boot. I read /etc/rc but I can't figure out from that why things
aren't working as is, the network startup seems to be before any reference
to /usr and I have /remoredrive listed as critical filesystem.

thanks
-james